Admission of persons with disabilities into a CDH should be considered as a last resort and only when it is in their best interests. They should otherwise be encouraged and assisted to live in the community for as long as possible.
For non-statutory admission, the applicants should be:
1. Below 16 years old (Persons with disabilities who are below age 21 would need the consent of parents/legal guardians for his/her application)
2. Singapore Citizens or Permanent Residents1
3. Diagnosed with congenital disabilities of the following nature:
- Sensory (Hearing/Visual impairment)
- Developmental (e.g. Autism Spectrum Disorder)
- A combination of two or more of the above
*Applicants with acquired disabilities will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Applicants may not be eligible if they have one or more of the following:
- They have untreated infectious diseases
- They are suffering from serious psychotic disorders and/or serious behavioural problems that require them to be under close individual supervision or nursing care.
1 For Permanent Residents, at least one immediate family member must be a Singapore Citizen. Immediate family member refers to spouses, parents, children of the applicant, including step-parents and step-children.