Sheltered Workshops provide job training and self-enrichment programmes for adults with disabilities.
Overview of Programme
Sheltered Workshops offer employment and/or vocational training to adults with disabilities who do not possess the competencies or skills for open employment.
Sheltered workshops allow participants to practice in jobs or tasks where the processes are either simple or broken down into simpler steps. Participants will gain valuable experience at the workshop, thereby improving their prospects for open employment.
SG Enable provides referral to government-aided Sheltered Workshops for adults with disabilities in Singapore.
Who Can Apply
Applicants should be:
- 16 years old and above#^
- Singapore Citizens or Permanent Residents1
- Diagnosed with congenital disabilities of the following nature:
- Intellectual (IQ level of less than 70)
- Sensory (Hearing/Visual impairment)
- Developmental (e.g. Autism Spectrum Disorder)
- A combination of two or more of the above
*Applicants with acquired disabilities will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Applicants may not be eligible if they have one or more of the following:
- They have untreated infectious diseases.
- They are suffering from serious psychotic disorders and/or serious behavioural problems that require them to be under close individual supervision or nursing care.
#Special needs children of SPED School-going age should be
encouraged and assisted to remain in School for as long as possible. Parents of
SPED graduands may approach their School to discuss the transition plans of the
children prior graduating from School.
^Persons with disabilities who are below age 21 would need the
consent of parents or legal guardians for their application.
1 For Permanent Residents, at least one immediate family member must be a Singapore Citizen. Immediate family member refers to spouses, parents, children of the applicant, including step-parents and step-children.
How to Apply
Please approach a social worker from a touchpoint (e.g. Social Service Agency (SSA), hospital, etc.) for assistance in submitting an application to SG Enable.
To apply, an applicant would need these documents:
- Application Form
- NRIC of applicant
- NRIC of main contact person
- NRIC of secondary contact person
- Social Report (Refer to application form for details)
- Disability Diagnosis Report/Memo and Medical Report (Refer to application form for details)
- Psychological Report
Submission of applications to SG Enable
Social workers may submit the clients’ application to SG Enable either online or via hard copy submission. Online application is recommended.
- Online using your SingPass
If required, you may download the forms below for use:
- Download the application form, print and send together with the required documents
SG Enable - Adult Disability Services
20 Lengkok Bahru
+65 6226 2366
Upon receiving the referral, SG Enable will contact you to provide information to help you make an informed decision on your choice of service.
Acceptance into the programme at the preferred centre is subject to the availability of vacancies and the approval by the centre’s management.
Application Processing Time
SG Enable will contact you within 10 working days upon receiving the completed application forms from the touchpoint. SG Enable will also update the social worker who assisted in the application on the status of the application.
For more information about Sheltered Workshops, please visit our frequently asked questions page.
To learn more about the Sheltered Workshop programmes provided by different organisations, please download the Sheltered Workshop Programme Service Matrix.
To check your application status, click here.
Have additional enquiries? Contact SG Enable.